I’m reaching a new and vibrant rotation in life and just wanted to share some of the thoughts I have on the eve of my 37th birthday (July 9th).
What an interesting experience it’s been being La Shaun this year!!
From destruction to rebuilding, brokenness to revitalization, death of one version of myself and new life for another version – this past year has not been without its complications or successes.
I experienced changes in my professional life:
- Fully and FINALLY putting the drama of my old label in the incinerator.
- Writing four new songs for my upcoming album Current Event.
- Molding very well with my band so that we’re feeding off of each other.
- Pushing my vocals to new limits and adding more energy to my performances.
- Collaborating with amazing vocalists like L’Renee and Monica Blaire.
- Producing UnCaged and my upcoming event INFERNO.
- Procuring new gigs as a vocalist and poet.
I experienced changes in my personal life:
- Deepening my love for my husband and really enjoying the role as his wife.
- Forgiving the man who made me want to end my life 8 years ago.
- Forgiving and releasing family members to their own lives without my input.
- Nurturing and deepening my experience with my amazing circle of tried and true friends.
- Travelling more!
- Keeping my eyes focused on greatness.
- Visualizing and actualizing the life I truly want – one filled with abundance physically, spiritually and financially.
Another powerful thing I’ve been experiencing lately is the shedding of my low self-esteem and insecurity. I am really learning to love myself in the present. Right in the here and now.
I find myself falling in love with everything about myself.
I find that I’m loving myself without a need to be apologetic about it nor with a need to make people feel more comfortable with themselves by downplaying it.
I love my hair, my eyes, the way that I laugh. I love my roundness and the ever-changing moments in my body as I work to shape it to what I want it to be. I love the sound of my voice in vocal rehearsals and how it sounds a million times better when I’m letting loose on the stage. I love letting loose on the stage and the explicit trust I’m building with my band. I TRUST them and they sound (and make me sound) incredible (and my background say, my background SAY). I’m trusting my Creator more than ever these days and am receiving a lot of clarity. My life is one of purpose, so I’m living life ON purpose.
Soul Diva, Ledisi performed in Detroit last June (I opened for her with L’Renee). She left these words that I offer to you now:
- Be careful who you let in and around your circle (including family). Not everyone deserves the pleasure of your presence.
- Love yourself where you are right now. If you have a little more to love – love that. If you want to have less to love – then work on it. But, love yourself where you are right now.
- Pursue your purpose. If you don’t know what that is right now, seek out your Creator for an answer. Look at the context clues around you. Consider what you’re passionate about. But, LIVE your purpose. You’re not truly living if you aren’t.
Thank you for being a part of my journey. I am SUPER grateful for each of you!
July 13, 2013 – Soul & Jazz Birthday Bash, Black Lotus Brewing Company, 1 East 14 Mile Road Clawson, MI 48017. Time: 9-11:00 PM Cover: FREE
July 18, 2013 – Featured Poet, They Say Restaurant, 267 Joseph Campau St Detroit, MI 48207. Time: 7-9:30 PM Cover: FREE
July 20, 2013 – Private Client’s Family Reunion, Detroit, MI
August 2, 2013 – NeoSoul Fridays (Featured Performer), Randy’s On The Lake, 800 Golf Drive, Pontiac, Michigan 48341. Hosted by Ju Hall. Time: 8-11:30 PM Cover: $5 before 10:00 PM, $15 after.
August 3, 2013 – Private Client’s Family Reunion, Flint, MI
August 9, 2013 – La Shaun phoenix Moore Under The Stars, Capital Park, Downtown Detroit (State Street/Shelby). Time: 9-11:00 PM Cover: FREE
September 28, 2013 – Motor City Black Age of Comics Convention (Guest Performer), Youthville Detroit, 7375 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan 48202. Time: 4-6:00 PM Cover: FREE
October 5, 2013 – La Shaun phoenix Moore’s INFERNO, Park Bar/Elizabeth Theater, 2040 Park Avenue, Detroit, MI. Hosted by Alexis Draper, Time: 8-11:00 PM Cover: $15
Here’s to another New Year! Happy Birthday to ME!